Article delegate-en/902 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Error messages form delegate ?
12 Oct 2000 14:19:00 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

In message <_A900@delegate-en.ML_>
on 10/11/00(21:19:46)
you "MARCON Michel, CETU/SG/Informatique" <pqqbqbdyi-fa3r2xklsrfr.ml@ml.delegate.org>
wrote:
 |I use delegate6-1.18 HTTP only on a Linux server with an "ancestor" proxy
 |which runs Squid.
 |So I have the variable PROXY="172.34.56.78:8080:*" on my  command line.
 |Works OK
 |
 |But when I mistype a site name (say http://www.yahouou.com for example), I
 |receive back a message from the Squid proxy,  not from my Delegate proxy.
 |Is-it OK ?
 |If not, how could I correct this situation ??

I think it is a reasonable default because the proxy which knows
whether or not a given destination server is correctly named and
reachable is the last proxy which really make connection to the
server.

If you need to let a intermediate proxy-DeleGate check and stop
forwarding a request about unknown host to an upstream proxy,
exclude ("!") unknown host ("?") from the destination host list
like this:

 PROXY="172.34.56.78:8080:*,!?"

or simply:

 PROXY="172.34.56.78:8080:!?"