Article delegate-en/870 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Need help with filtering
21 Aug 2000 06:19:05 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 08/10/00(04:46) you Max Tran <pmqbqbdyi-hugik5vvcjxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A868@delegate-en.ML_>
 | GET /oed/public/images/hp-oup.gif HTTP/1.0
 | Referer: http://myserver.mydomain:9999/oed/
 | Host: myserver.mydomain:9999
 | Cookie: auth=7a570a246838db7748c612ffd73as2ug
 |
 |the requested site would be "oed" and the institution would be "as2ug".
 |The filter would do a
 |lookup based upon the requested site and the user's institution to see
 |if the user is allow access.
 |If no, the user is redirect to a page saying 'Access Denied', by
 |printing a "Location" header to STDOUT.
 |If yes, the request goes through.
 |The problem is that the filter would hang the client, if he is from an
 |unauthorized institution.
 |So the problem is caused by the Location header. Is there a way to
 |redirect the client to another
 |page?

Since you are rewriting a HTTP request message from a client to
a server, adding "Location:" header to the request message will
indicate nothing, since the header has meaning only when included
in a HTTP response message (See RFC2068).

I suppose rewriting the request URL in the first line of a
request message will do, and I recommend you to use FTOSV instead
of FFROMCL because FFROMCL is a little heavy to work.