Article delegate-en/624 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: POP/HTTPS proxy: is it
01 Nov 1999 17:04:24 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 10/28/99(08:15) you Horia Georgescu <pbyaabdyi-jqwqhpa3m6xr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A619@delegate-en.ML_>
 |Here I am again. Thank you for your feedback. I had to postpone a little
 |bit the testing, but today I tried to place some spies in the code, as
 |you advised me, but I haven't got too far. The authentication process
 |goes through http.c and after is calling HTTP_getAuthorization in
 |DDI_ProceedFromC is exiting unauthorized. The pass string printed there
 |is empty. No other calls of that function were captured in the log.
 |I have tested long time ago the pop to http gateway, and I remembered it
 |worked. So I've decided to try the version 5.9.2 and I found that works.
 |But for HTTP/POP only. No HTTPS/POP.

If you are using MSIE as your browser, the problem can be relevant to it.
Since the browser seems not to cope with "WWW-Authenticate" required from
FTP/HTTP gateway, I made a dirty patch to use "Proxy-Authenticate" for it
in DeleGate/5.9.3.  <URL:http://wall/mail-lists/archive/delegate/8265>
But this seems to introduce new problem for POP/HTTP as you pointed out.
So I made another patch to avoid this problem:

*** ../../delegate5.9.5/src/http.c	Fri Sep  3 16:55:02 1999
--- ./http.c	Tue Nov  2 01:55:18 1999
***************
*** 573,578 ****
--- 573,579 ----
  		SimpleContType = 1;

  	if( dp = strstr(UA,"MSIE ") )
+ 	if( REQ_URL[0] != '/' ) /* acting as an origin HTTP server */
  		ProxyAuth = 1;

  	if( dp = strstr(UA,"Mosaic") )

 |So there is a change in the code (I didn't run a diff... sorry..) which
 |is now impacting on this side of functionality. Am I wrong? Can HTTPS
 |/POP functionality be added?

I think using HTTPS on source (client) side will not affect functionality
of target (server side) application protocols.