Article delegate-en/593 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: FTP and SMTP proxy
27 Sep 1999 16:21:48 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 09/23/99(08:22) you "G. Kelana Sudibyo" <pjqbabdyi-uwzfqiup6zxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A588@delegate-en.ML_>
 |1. When I set the FTP proxy like this;
 |    delegated -P821 SERVER=ftp PERMIT=ftp:ftp.machine.com:client.machine.com
 |    and the connection was established, when I download a file, why the
 |delegated using the buffer?
 |    Because if the delegated use the buffer, it makes the transfer speed
 |decrease, first time the transfer speed is about 80 kbps, but the transfer
 |speed going down to 2 kbps and very very slowly.
 |    Do you have any suggestion for my problem.

Could you tell me how the buffering make transfer speed slower ?
Is it common situation regardless of to which FTP server you access ?
On what kind of platform do your DeleGate run ?
Is the host machine of your DeleGate heavy loaded ?
And at what speed of physical line is your DeleGate connected with
servers and clients ?

 |2. If I set SMTP proxy like this;
 |    delegated -P25 SERVER=smtp PERMIT=smtp:*:192.168.208.*
 |    when my client (IP=192.168.208.208) want to send his email, he uses SMTP
 |server mail.server.com. But when I see the mail log file in mail.server.com,
 |there is no transaction from my client. If I see the delegated logfile
 |(/var/spool/delegated/logs/25), the client was communicate with SMTP proxy
 |and the SMTP proxy directly communicate with destination email server. Why?
 |In my client's mail client (Outlook Express), it was set Outgoing server =
 |proxy.server.com and username = someone@server..

If you wish your SMTP-DeleGate to forward its messages to
"mail.server.com", you need to indicate it to DeleGate like this:

  SERVER="smtp://mail.server.com"