Article delegate-en/545 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: cannot get active list
16 Aug 1999 08:21:15 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 08/15/99(13:53) you Vadim Stanovov <peababdyi-dyd2yvceqdxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A544@delegate-en.ML_>
 |may be it's FAQ, but I don't know where it is.
 |
 |I installed DelGate on FreeBSD 3.2 box with INN 2.2 as NNTP->HTTP
 |gateway, but I got message "cannot get active list".
 |How can I fix it?

The message indicates that the LIST command to the NNTP server from
the DeleGate failed by some reason.  A simple NNTP/HTTP-DeleGate
can be configured like this:

  delegate-host% delegated -v -P8888 MOUNT="/* nntp://newsserver/*"

Then you can access the NNTP server via the DeleGate as
"http://delegate-host:8888/".  I suppose your configuration is more
or less like this.

I think the most probable reason of the failure in you case is that
your NNTP server does not allow client's access from your delegate-host.
If it is the case, you will see error messages like this in the
DeleGate's log:

  ## S-C 480 Authentication required for command [][]

You can confirm it by manual conversation with the

  delegate-host% telnet localhost nntp
  200 news-server InterNetNews server INN 2.2 21-Jan-1999 ready
  MODE reader
  201 news-server InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.2 21-Jan-1999 ready (no posting).
  LIST
  480 Authentication required for command
  QUIT
  205 .

If this is the case, you must specify necessary username and password
to login the NNTP server.  A simple way is specifying them as a parameter
to DeleGate like this:

  MOUNT="/* nntp://username:password@newsserver/*"

Another way is to let DeleGate force asking them to the HTTP clients by
a parameter like this:

  NNTPCONF=auth

This "NNTPCONF=auth" should be judged automatically when a NNTP server
asked authentication. Such mechanism it is partially implemented in
current DeleGate, but incomplete.  It will be finished in DeleGate/6.X.