Article delegate-en/540 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119

Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] delegate 5.9.3 fails when running from inetd in FreeBSD 3.2
10 Aug 1999 14:56:51 GMT "Johan Lindh" <pdqbabdyi-p5lznxkzmzxr.ml@ml.delegate.org>

Setup:

FreeBSD 3.2 on an Intel machine (plenty of everything).
Two interfaces, one towards a private network, one one a public network.
The machine is using ip filter and ipnat to proxy the private network.
Delegate 5.9.3 with FreeBSD patch applied (tried without too -- no difference).

I am trying to set up totally transparent proxying for FTP. To this end I got hold of the
iptproxy-0.3 program, and hacked it till it worked on FreeBSD 3.2.

But even after fixing the bugs in iptproxy, I still couldn't get the proxying to work. So I simplified
things a bit in inetd:

ftpproxy  stream  tcp  nowait  root  /sbin/delegated delegated SERVER=ftp://ftp.sunet.se:21/ CONNECT=direct

Now, the way I understand the manual, delegate should transparently proxy all incoming tcp connections on port 'ftpproxy' to ftp.sunet.se:21.
It doesn't. I can see that it starts (by running top and bombarding the server with connection requests), but it immediately quits, with no messages.
If I run the same thing from the command line (but with the -P parameter to tell it to listen), it works just fine.

What's going on here?

Regards,
Johan Lindh

"Johan Lindh, Link Data Stockholm" <pdqbabdyi-p5lznxkzmzxr.ml@ml.delegate.org>
PGP Public Key available on request. Send a message
with the word "PGPKEY" in the subject line.