Article delegate-en/413 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119

Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Run DeleGate as service on NT?
13 Apr 1999 05:01:45 GMT Craig Carey <ptuaqbdyi-gztnjk7qfbnr.ml@ml.delegate.org>

The message titled "Run DeleGate as service on NT?" might have
 meant there was a problem running Delegate, rather than a
 problem happening in Windows NT but not Windows 95.

Delegate can be run in Windows 95 for the purpose of caching
 data, with files like these:

DELEGATE.BAT
---**********************************************************
dg5_9_1.exe DGPATH=. +=delegate.cfg
---**********************************************************

DELEGATE.CFG
---**********************************************************
-v           # Debugging. Also -vv, -vt (terse), -vd (debug)
RELIABLE="127.0.0.1"  # Address, browser side
-P8080                # Port, browser side

PROXY="127.0.0.1:8081:*"  # Address & port, Internet side
             # ... remove the line if no Internet side proxy

MANAGER=lepidoptera@alphabet..nz  # For error pages
CACHEDIR=U:/DelCache

ACTDIR=U:/Delegate/act
VARDIR=U:/Delegate
ADMDIR=U:/Delegate/adm
ETCDIR=U:/Delegate/etc
LOGDIR=U:/Delegate/log
TMPDIR=U:/Delegate/tmp
WORKDIR=U:/Delegate/work

LOGFILE=""
CRON="0 3 * * * -expire 30" # min hr dy mo dayofwk, action
                    # ... in 3 hrs remove some of the files
EXPIRE=30d      # Duration of cached files. Format: N{d,h,s}
SERVER=http     # (optional)
---**********************************************************

I am testing Delegate as proxy for personal use.

Delegate is free and has a rather low memory usage, and
 perhaps problems with it are fixed by the programmers in
 the public. It is comparable to Wingate 2.1. I quit
 Wingate because it uses too much memory, 4.5MB, 8.5MB
 when showing a GUI window).

I note these possible areas where there might be problems.
I hope no problem is caused by listing some personal concerns
 I had:

  Inefficient use of disk space (in a Drivespace
   3 compressed volume).  I am still checking whether this
   is quite true or not.

  Disk IO inefficiency leading to a lot of noise.

  Seemingly no way to reduce the use of directories
   in the cache (?) by having files with long names.

  Proxying stops when the cache fulls up without a comment on why.

  Infrequent seemingly random failure of Delegate
   tasks, which can require a reboot of Windows 95 to fix
   because Delegate 5.9.1 won't restart. (Might be due to not
   initializing and finalizing of sockets is my guess). This
   is probably the most serious. I tried hhproxy and I had to
   reboot rather rapidly.

  No use of _beginthread which the Junkbuster proxy uses,
   almost as if it was a direct simple replacement for fork().

  Occasional refusals to serve documents which can be fixed
   with ease and in seconds with a browser reload.

  Seemingly no way to ignore "don't cache" instructions.
   A caching client ought to be able to cache everything and
   ignore instructions for inconsiderate webserver managers,
   e.g. those that aim to have advertising downloaded. Another
   example is  <http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/?form=advanced>

  When used with a cookie blocker (to provide anonymity),
   Delegate adds headers that anonymous public proxies and
   (as far as I know) Junkbuster too, don't remove.
  For example, with this setup:

 Netscape 4.51
Delegate 5.9.1
Junkbuster 2.0.2
-------- windows 95 ------- Internet -----
netcachesyd1.ozemail.com.au:80 public proxy

 http://www.junkbuster.com/cgi-bin/show-http-headers OR
 https://secure.magusnet.com/cgibin/printenv.cgi

; the distant environment tester sees these headers:

HTTP_VIA: 1.0 - (DeleGate/5.9.1),NetCache@proxy.ozemail.com.au: Version 3.3.1
HTTP_X_LOCKING:
202.50.170.9:U:/DelCache/http/www.junkbuster.com/cgi-bin/show-http-headers
REMOTE_HOST: netcachesyd1.ozemail.com.au

Note: The netcachesyd1.ozemail.com.au proxy provides anonymity
 (with respect to distant websites) and it does not add a
 "REMOTE_HOST" header and does not add an "HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR"
 header. It doesn't delete all the unusual 'Delegate/5.9.1"
 information, which a distant site could use to identify the
 individual.) Is there a fix for this: the disclosure of to
 foreign environment checking pages, the directory structure of
 my hard disk?.  Squid can provide anonymity.

-----------------------
At the moment I am hoping to test Delegate to see if I can
 get Delegate 5.9.x in Windows 95, to succeed doing this

Netscape, requests http://abc.com/. Not any https URL.
                        The is no rewriting of webpages HREF URLs
-- <-- not encrypted
(A) Delegate or SSR . No keys held here. Handshakes with
                      whatever comes in.
-- <-- encrypted with SSL encryption

(B) Delegate (inside the PC although to prove Delegate useful, or
         or in a foreign safe country as might be desired by persons
         in USA, Russia, China, etc.)

-- <-- not encrypted

* SSL tunneling proxies maybe

http://abc.com/
Notes: no visible use of "-_-" and no visible use of https.

Webbrowsers can not handshake SSL with a proxy. Translating
 <HREF="http://... to <HREF="htps://... really does seem to be
 best avoided, and some Javascript HTML pages construct
 URIs/URLs and a server-side page rewriting program wont handle
 that.

They can handshake with Delegate when it is imitating being
 a "reverse proxy" (a Netscape term), ie. when appearing to a
 webbrowser to be an https webserver.
This setup seem cheap compared to SSH, and hopefully individuals
 with Delegate proxies can handshake with whatever SSL converting
 proxies exist in the Internet.

Has anybody got Delegate to talk to SSR Communicator (or
 www.celocom.se). (SSR 4). What about Bjorb or Stone?.
 SSR can't be tested easily, unlike Delegate, since only one
 copy can be run in memory.

Craig Carey
Auckland
New Zealand