Article delegate-en/398 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Transparent SMTP-Proxy
06 Apr 1999 12:16:17 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 04/05/99(21:29) you preaqbdyi-cv6iw6s7awdr.ml@ml.delegate.org wrote
in <_A393@delegate-en.ML_>
 |I am searching for transparent proxy for SMTP. I have found some
 |solutions that not exactly match my demand (all using relay and
 |one to many connections). I need a solution that is able to handle
 |many to many connections on the incoming and outgoing side,

Does not "sendmail" match your demand?
Although I don't have any experience on free sendmail, I suppose
it is the first candidate for such usage.

 |because we do not want to use any (external) relay hosts. All
 |traffic should be send to a special box appearing as our normal
 |mail-server and then delivered to our internal mail-system. Outgoing
 |mail should be send to the same box and then directly forwarded to
 |the reciptions mail-server (without using any relay services).
 |
 |I think an outgoing one to many connection with using a relay
 |system is no problem while using delegate. But how delegate
 |handles many to many connections? Is it able to handle things like
 |this?

Basically it will be done with

  delegated -P25 SERVER=smtp PERMIT="smtp:*:*"

which means making DeleGate work as a SMTP proxy relaying SMTP
protocol permitting access to any server from any client.  But
in truth I'm not sure if it practically works, since I've never
practically used DeleGate as a SMTP proxy.