Article delegate-en/353 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Fussy HTTP caching
17 Mar 1999 06:59:03 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 03/17/99(15:38) you "Harold McMahon" <pmaaqbdyi-dyd2yvepa6xr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A352@delegate-en.ML_>
 |Here's my problem (running 5.9.0 on NT4SP4 or 98, using IE4 as the
 |clients) -
 |
 |Some sites just won't cache - e.g. www.altavista.com. And it seems that
 |quite a few files on other sites don't get cached either, e.g.
 |www.happypuppy.com, only the images are cached.
 |
 |Is this a configuration problem, or just my lack of understanding of how
 |this works ?

The cache of HTTP-DeleGate was implemented based on HTTP/1.0 in which
cache control mechanism for (shared) proxy was not clearly defined.
In short, it does not cache following messages:

  - without Last-Modified (probably generated by CGI dynamically)
  - with Cookie (possiblly include some private information of a client)

I think I must implement Cache-Control of HTTP/1.1 in future...