Article delegate-en/3512 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: ftp to ftp gateway +(optional TLS)
28 Sep 2006 18:46:59 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

you Steve Brown <pd4gqbdyi-uqy4d4rxvhjr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |Is it possible to configure delegate as an ftp proxy, so that a plain
 |ftp client can connect to a remote site, and *if* that remote site
 |supports TLS have delegate start a TLS encrypted session with the remote
 |site, and a plain session with the client?
 |
 |I've read that delegate can behave as a gateway to an sftp server with
 |
 |./delegated -P21 SERVER=ftp MOUNT="/* ftps://server/*" STLS=fsv

At least it should be as follows:

  ./delegated -P21 SERVER=ftp MOUNT="/* ftp://server/*" STLS=-fsv

The protocol name "ftps:" means using TLS over a dedicated port (990)
without negotiation procedure in FTP protocol (implicitly negotiated).

"STLS=-fsv" means doing TLS with a server optionally if it's available.
It is done by explicit START TLS negotiation by FTP command (AUTH TLS
based on RFC4217) on the standard FTP port (21).

Similarly "STLS=-fcl" means doing TLS with a client optionally. In this
case the TLS negotiation can be either implicit or explicit because
the FTP server (DeleGate) can detect implicit use of TLS (SSL) with
detection of Client_Hello packet sent first from the client of FTPS.