Article delegate-en/346 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Any way to specify maximum lifetime of cc process?
16 Mar 1999 06:58:07 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

On 03/08/99(01:10) you Aaron Nabil <pjiaqbdyi-t7hpjipzobxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A330@delegate-en.ML_>
 |Is there any way to specify the maximum lifetime of a connection cache
 |process?  I'd like to be able to close open connections after a maximum
 |time to avoid resource problems on the server (the server the delegate
 |is connecting to).  I've noticed that the long-lived cc processes can
 |potentially have kept a connection open for very long periods of time,
 |at least hours, potentially forever.
 |
 |I've tried TIMEOUT="restart:600", it's restarting "something", but it
 |doesn't seem to affect the open cc connections to the remote server.

You can limit the timeout of idling of a NNTPCC (NNTP Connection
Cache) process which is waiting for the next connection from a
next NNTP client (which can be shown as "standby=nntp://..." by
ps command) like;

  TIMEOUT=nntpcc:30        (the default value is 300 seconds)

if you wish the timeout be 30 seconds.
And you can limit the maximum number of NNTPCC processes for a
target server by:

  MAXIMA=svcc:1            (the default value is 16)

if you wish to the number be 1 process.
Also you can totally disable the connection cache by:

  NNTPCONF=nntpcc:0        (the default value is 1)

I'm sorry that I missed these configuration parameters be shown
in "Maunal.txt".

 |is connecting to).  I've noticed that the long-lived cc processes can
 |potentially have kept a connection open for very long periods of time,
 |at least hours, potentially forever.

It's the very situation I inteded to realize by "connection cache"
where a single connection to the server is reused repeatedly by
multiple clients, to reduce the latency to establish connection
to the server and reduce load on the server host for repetitive
initializations of NNTP sessions, which is typically caused when
the server is accessed by a NNTP/HTTP gateway.