Article delegate-en/3444 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] 10 times faster SockMux (Re: DeleGate - sockmux network performance)
03 Aug 2006 18:27:52 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

In message <_A3302@delegate-en.ML_> on 06/12/06(08:19:53) I wrote:
 |In message <_A3299@delegate-en.ML_> on 06/11/06(23:31:58)
 |you Martin Papadopoulos <payeabdyi-mnhipgbcs5jr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 | |when establishing a sockmux tunnel , the network performance is very low.
 | |
 | |on a regular internet-connection 4096kbit/512kbit the downstream from
 | |the sockmux server is max 768kbit/sec.
 | |
 | |if you need more info's on this , let me know
 |
 |I know SockMux is slow when it is used remotely and wish the speed up
 |of it too as a user of it :)  It'll be tuned in DeleGate version 9.X.

In DeleGate/9.2.4-pre11, I expanded the size of the SockMux packet
from 512 bytes to 16K bytes.  It improved the performance (throughput)
of SockMux about ten times, from 150Kbytes/sec to 1.5Mbytes/sec for
example and it has come to be usable for me to transfer large files
for backup and mirroring between my office and my home :)

And I noticed that the throughput of SockMux is bound to about 5Mbytes/sec
even when connected on the same host with a loopback device, on my
iMac with 1GHz single PPC.
On my MacMini with 2GH dual IntelCPU, it is about 40Mbytes/sec.
Maybe the performance is bound by the "Credhy Encryption" for each
packet, so it should be able to be disabled partially and optionally.

#You can reduce the size of packet to emulate the old version as this:
#  SOXCONF=packsize:512