Article delegate-en/3411 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: delegate smtp error reply - smtp server rewrite
22 Jul 2006 08:15:16 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

you Martin Papadopoulos <payeabdyi-t7hpjip76bxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |>  |1. how can i respond with a message to a denied smtp client
 |>  |    e.g. delegate works as smtprelay with a reject list
 |>
 |> You can reject SMTP clients based on the IP-address or the hostname of
 |> the client as in other protocols, or based on the E-mail address or other
 |> contents of the message using "SMTPGATE" configuration.
 |>
 |> The response for the rejection to the client is just an error code
 |> with a short message in SMTP protocol.  DeleGate does not generate
 |> "error return message" which can be utilized for some attacks.
 |>
 |>  |2. is it possible to rewrite the original smtp servername whe delegate
 |>  |acts as smtp proxy ?
 |>
 |> Sorry but what does the "original smtp servername" mean?
 |2. when delegate is involved as an smtp proxy
 |    >>    delegated -P25 SERVER=smtp://localmailserver:9925
 |the replied servername from localmailservers appears in the smtp session
 |    >>   220 <1153552313.2761055136@fqdn..> [XMail 1.22 ESMTP Server]
 |service ready; Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:11:53 +0200
 |, which is perfectly normal. is it possible to rewrite the fqdn.name for
 |the connecting end ?

Two possible solutions I can figure out instantly:

1) use a filter to rewrite the message from the server to the client as this:

   FTOCL="-sed -u -e s/@fqdn.name/@xxx.yyy/"

2) or, setup SMTPGATE.  It makes DeleGate work like a SMTP server rather
   than a proxy, thus the greeting message is generated by DeleGate itself.

   SERVER=smtp

   [the content of SMTPGATE/admin/@default/conf]
   CONTROL/INHERIT:     sendmail
   CONTROL/SERVER-HOST: localmailserver