Article delegate-en/3161 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: newbie question: content rewriting HTTP/HTTPS proxy
25 Mar 2006 00:00:41 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

you Martin Vetter <pnieabdyi-t7hpjipgrwxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |I would like to rewrite the HTML delivered by a
 |remote HTTP server, which is redirecting users to a
 |remote HTTPS server after successful login.
 |
 |I was able to rewrite the HTML served via HTTP
 |deploying delegate as an HTTP proxy, using something like:
 |
 |   delegate -P... SERVER=http FTOFCL=my-cfi.sh ...
 |
 |but I couldn't get filtering/rewriting to work with
 |HTML delivered via HTTPS.

By principle, data transferred over SSL cannot be modified in the
middle of its transfer.  It is the very reason why you can trust the
data via SSL to be originated by the origin server.  And the SSL
can be safe from peeping its original data in the middle because
it is hard to be decrypted.

 |is it possible to set up delegate as HTTP/HTTPS proxy
 |in such a way that HTML content delivered both via HTTP and HTTPS
 |is piped and modified through the defined filter?

A HTTP proxy as a "SSL-tunnel" to relay HTTPS/SSL just work as a
transparent TCP relay in the circuit level, which relays encrypted
data in SSL as is between the server and the client.

 |running delegate as a gateway mounting the remote
 |HTTP and HTTPS server didn't work for me.

You can access to

  https://serv/

as if it is at

  http://serv/

via a DeleGate as a HTTP proxy, acting as a HTTPS/HTTP gateway for
a specified server, with the following parameter:

  MOUNT="http://serv/* https://serv/* FSV=sslway"

You can use filters like FTOCL="..." together with this gateway.