Article delegate-en/3125 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Timeout issues
01 Feb 2006 20:01:49 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)
The DeleGate Project

Hi Gertjan,

Thank you for your cooperation to solve the problem.

you Gertjan Klein <peugabdyi-t75q7lqj4njr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |>The delay seems to be caused just to convert IPv6 address from symbolic
 |>representation like ":::::::" to its binary representation.
 |>Maybe it is delayed in inet_aton() or inet_pton(), and maybe the protocol
 |>interpreter invoked when the connection is accepted via your VPN does not
 |>interpret it.  I did not suppose such case when I supported IPv6 in
 |>DeleGate/9.0.0.
 |
 |Perhaps it could be the nameserver of the company I connect to?

I'm specifying "NUMERICHOST" flag for IPv6-API function to stop DNS lookup
in such address translation.  If the delay is caused waiting DNS server,
the problem is why it asks to DNS even with the NUMERICHOST flag.
I'm reminded some IPv6-API implementation on Unix which do not stop DNS
search even with NUMERICHOST.  The similar problem might be on Windows,
when accepted via your VPN.

I uploaded dg9_0_6-pre2dbg6.exe to trace the address translation for IPv6.
It will show us where the delay is caused, and comparing the log with the
one for a client in non-VPN connection might let us know the reason.
I suppose there will be no difference except the delay.

 |>IPv6 can be disabled at the compilation time by selecting socket libraries.
 |>For the time being, try pre2dbg5.exe with disalbed initialzation for
 |>":::::::".
 |Are you considering making disabling IPv6 support a commandline switch
 |rather than a compile-time option in the future?

There is RES_AF=4 option to suppress DNS lookup from host-name to ip-address
in address-family IPv6, but this is not relevant to your case.

Since ":::::::0" (as 0.0.0.0 in IPv4) and ":::::::1" (as 127.0.0.1) are
only candidates to be converted in DeleGate even when IPv6 is not necessay,
I modified DeleGate to do the conversions by itself.
(Also ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff should be processed by itself...)

I applied the modification to the version 9.0.6-pre2 and released it at
<URL:ftp://ftp.delegate.org/pub/DeleGate/alpha/>.

Thank you.