Article delegate-en/3009 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: news proxy expire - how ?
09 Jul 2005 20:59:00 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)
The DeleGate Project

On 07/10/05(04:39) you feedback@delegate.. (Yutaka Sato) wrote
in <_A3007@delegate-en.ML_>
 |The argument "-atime 30d" in the log means "not accessed (just) for 30days",
 |that is, the "last access date" of a file is just 30days old.
 |If this expire is done every day, there should be no file of which
 |"last access date" is older than 30days.  But if it is not the case,
 |or if you shortened the expire period, files older than 30days will
 |be left without expired.
 |
 |Thus specify as "-expire +30" to indicate "not accessed for 30days or more".

Sorry, this was my misunderstanding.

 |The reference manual says that "-expire 3" means "-atime +3", but the
 |implementation has not been consistent with it.  So I'll fix it as
 |the enclosed patch.

Although the arguments of "expire" command of DeleGate follows that of
"find" program on Unix, "-atime N" in DeleGate means "-atime +N".
So it was not the problem of the implementation.

Thus the possible situation is that
 - all of your cache files are accessed from the client within 30days, or
 - your cache files are accessed (scanned) by some program within 30days

In these case, "-atime" does not fit your usage, and "-mtime" should
be used instead.  "-mtime" means the last modified time (or creation time)
of a file.  With -expire in CRON, it can be like "-expire 0 -mtime +30".