Article delegate-en/2805 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: New to delegated :)
06 Jan 2005 15:29:48 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)
The DeleGate Project

On 12/20/04(18:24) you "Master Brian" <mangabbs@hotmail..> wrote
in <_A2801@delegate-en.ML_>
 |for example my user 192.168.10.11 make an ldap request to
 |ldap.infocamere.it:389. The gateway 192.168.0.1 intercept it and redirect to
 |delegate.
 |So delegate should make a request trough socks for ldap.infocamere.it:389.
 |But I cannot statically configure it, beucase if my users ask for another
 |ldap server (for example indicepa.gov.it:389) the default ldap_server cannot
 |give the right answer.
 |Do you think there is any way to solve this with delegate?

As long as I know, LDAP protocol does not support proxying like in HTTP.
Moreover, there might be no application protocol which support virtual
hosting except HTTP/1.1.  HTTP/1.X support proxying by including the
information about the destination server (in the URL in the Request-Line
of a HTTP-Reuqest message), and HTTP/1.1 supports virtual host name of
the destination server (in Host: field in request-header).  HTTP proxy
can use these information for relaying request to the destination server,
even if the request is redirected transparently in the lower layer.

If a LDAP client encloses information about the target server in its
request message as BIND, it is easy to redirect it to the server.  But
LDAP protocol does not do such thing, as long as I know.
(If a redirector in the lower layer adds such information into the
LDAP request message, I can utilize it for proxying)

Thus, what are supported by DeleGate is "non-transparent" proxying.
The first one is writing appending "@LdapServer" to baseObject name.
And the second one is switching the LdapServer automatically by the
baseObject name using MOUNT.
See the Manual.htm for more details.
<URL:http://www.delegate.org/delegate/Manual.htm#serv_LDAP>