Article delegate-en/239 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: delegate5_8_5-os2.zip
22 Jan 1999 22:00:32 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato)

you Hiroshi Ueno <pxakabth4-hugik5ujmbxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |> This appears to verify a problem with sockets being left in an state that
 |> prevents reuse without shutting the system down.  Please see if you can
 |> recreate this on your system with TCP/IP 4.1 at the latest level and
 |> correct this condition.  It is not acceptable to need to shut the server
 |> down any time DeleGate needs to be restarted.
 |
 |I tried TCP/IP v4.1+DeleGate combination on my Warp4 machine but I
 |could not recreate the problem. That is mainly because, on my
 |machine, any socket was not beeing left in used state. Netstat -l
 |command listed no sockets after terminating delegated.exe.
 |
 |However, my understanding is that delegated issues setsockopt()
 |for every socket to set SO_REUSEADDR in order for that socket to
 |reuse the local port addresses. Sato-san, is this correct?

Yes.  It is done in bind_inet() function in inets.c file, at line
#1803 as:

          Setsockopt(sock,SOL_SOCKET,SO_REUSEADDR,&REUSE,sizeof(REUSE));

Although I don't understand what is happening on the OS/2 environment,
I suppose using SO_REUSEPORT instead of SO_REUSEADDR will change the
situation, if SO_REUSEPORT is supported in OS/2.
But of course the problem is why a socket (bound by bind()) is left
in used state (after SIGTERM?) in some OS/2 environmnet, and I have
no idea on it.