Article delegate-en/2266 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: expire text only?
30 May 2003 07:41:08 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

On 05/30/03(15:39) you "Jim" <p3eeabdyi-5sbstggnaoxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A2265@delegate-en.ML_>
 |Just got DeleGate up and running. Nice piece of software!
 |
 |One question: Is there any way to configure so images, sound files,
 |etc., are read from cache even when an http page header has expired a
 |page? The reason I'd like to do this is places like EBay set their pages
 |to expire every second (so the bid prices are current). But the item
 |images do not change, and it is frustrating to have to reload all the
 |image data just to see the current bid price.
 |
 |Some expiration examples:
 |1. (normal expires tag in header)
 |2. <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1800">
 |3. <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">
 |4. <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="Fri, 30 May 2003, 04:42:15 GMT">

As long as I know, cache control information about a HTTP message (which
is indicated in its header or body tags) affect only to the message itself.
The expiration of (a image) data which is referred from a HTML data (and
may be from other HTMLs too) will/can not be affected from its referrer(s).
So what you can/need control is about header information in HTTP messages
which contains image/* or so.  I suppose that simply removing Expires
header in any response messages seems to satisfy your requirement. It is
realized with the following parameter.

  HTTPCONF=kill-rhead:Expires

If you need more detailed control, you can use "external filter" or
"CFI" mechanism of DeleGate (activated by FFROMSV or FTOCL parameter) with
which you can rewrite HTTP message as you need using your own script.
But it causes certain overhead which might not be acceptable in your case.

 |So what I'm wondering is whether there's a way to only expire the
 |html/text part of a page, and override the expiration of the images and
 |multi-media content on the expired page. I realize this is probably
 |unusual, but DeleGate seems flexible enough, there just might be some
 |way to do this.
 |
 |If so, is there also some way to configure DeleGate to support a
 |pass-through URL prefix, so our default behavior would override
 |expiration tags, but if the user inserted a special prefix to the URL,
 |it would not override expiration tags?
 |
 |Otherwise, is there at least some way to cause the above pages to stay
 |in cache for some longer period of time, like an hour?

                   @ @
┌─┐┬┌──┬┐ //\^^ ( - ); {Do the more with the less -- B. Fuller}
├─┤│└─┐│ / 877m\_<   >_ <URL:http://www.delegate.org/delegate/>
佐藤豊@情報処理研究部門.産業技術総合研究所(独立行政法人)