Article delegate-en/2061 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: rsync & DeleGate.
04 Jan 2003 06:12:46 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

On 01/03/03(23:23) you Adrian-Bogdan Ionescu <pbaeabdyi-uqy4d4wkjhjr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A2056@delegate-en.ML_>
 |It's possible to configure DeleGate to act like a
 |port-mapper?
 |
 |E.g. My company have a firewall who only permit
 |traffic on port 8080 (web) and I have need to use
 |rsync in order to keep some sites in sync.

Why don't you try to change the policy of your firewall to pass
outgoing TCP for RSYNC(873) or SSH(22) ?

 |It is possible to create a tunnel from our LAN to
 |outside world using DeleGate?
 |
 |I manage to create (using HTTP-tunnel) a local map on
 |my local workstation like:
 |
 |Wks ---> HTTP-Tunnel ---> Web Proxy ---> rsync site
 |
 |and use (on my wks) something like "rsync localhost"
 |but, unfortunatelly the HTTP-tunnel seems to be very
 |unstable.

How did you do it?
What messages you saw in your LOGFILE of your DeleGate?

In Rsync Manual <URL:http://samba.anu.edu.au/ftp/rsync/rsync.html>:
>CONNECTING TO AN RSYNC SERVER
>It is also possible to use rsync without using rsh or ssh as the
>transport.  In this case you will connect to a remote rsync server
>running on TCP port 873.

So basically, the following will do.

 # delegated -P873 tcprelay://rsync-site:873 SSLTUNNEL=proxy-host:8080

Note that this will not work if your HTTP-proxy does not permit
SSL-tunneling not to the standard port of HTTPS (443), or not
permit non-encrypted transmission on the connection.