Article delegate-en/1638 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: blocking ports through socks
02 May 2002 17:11:02 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

On 05/03/02(00:10) you Vaughn Jardine <plqdabdyi-p5lznxov2jxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A1637@delegate-en.ML_>
 |Thanks for all the help so far. I am still having problems blocking access
 |to port 1214 through socks. Let me give you the exact line I am using.
 |
 |./delegated -P1080 SERVER=socks PERMIT="*:\!{*:1214}:*"
 |
 |I used the "\" like you said and the system accepted it without problems,
 |but the above line is blocking EVERYTHING, and not just everything destined
 |to a server on port 1214.

How to escape a reserved character depends on each shell.  In cshell,
a echo command

 % echo "\!"

prints

 !

but bash prints

 \!

thus "\!" does not represent literal "!" in bash.  I'm not familier with
bash but tested that

 $ echo '!'

prints

 !

so at least

 PERMIT='*:!{*:1214}:*'

will do in bash.  Anyway a user of DeleGate is expected to be familier
with his/her own shell, with which I'm not familier.

And to escape these shell dependent problem, you can use parameter file
like following example:

 delegated +=parameters

 [the content of parameters file]
 -P1080