Article delegate-en/1574 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: DNS server / forking?
25 Mar 2002 08:15:44 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

On 03/24/02(16:35) you Kenneth Godee <peqdabdyi-7pkjwohcerfr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A1572@delegate-en.ML_>
 |I have one problem with using DNS server/proxy.
 |I'm using daemontools/supervise to make sure my proxy's stay up.
 |When I start the DNS proxy it "forks" off another
 |DNS process and if you stop the first, the second process remains.
 |I guess I don't under stand why it forks off a second process?

It is to share the load on the DNS-DeleGate server, and you can
control the parallelism by DNSCONF=para:N parameter.  If you don't
need to make it work in parallel, specify like this:

DNSCONF=para:1

 |I don't want to leave these second processes around.
 |Is there anything I can do?
 |I'm starting the server as such.....
 |
 |/sbin/delegate -f +=/etc/dns-proxy.conf
 |
 |*dns-proxy.conf*
 |-Tx
 |-P192.168.1.1:53
 |SERVER=dns
 |PERMIT=dns:*:192.168.*
 |RELIABLE=192.168.*
 |TIMEOUT=shutout:0
 |ADMIN="deld@perfect-image.."
 |

 |The last couple of lines of my dns-proxy log...
 |
 |DNS_MINTTL=21600
 |-- Fork(DNS): 1786 -> 1808

 |If I stop the 1786 process, the 1808 remains.

How did you stopped the process?
If you terminated it by "kill SIGTERM" or "delegated -Fkill -P53",
all parallel processes must be terminated as a whole.