Article delegate-en/1534 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] DeleGate with Bounds Checking C (Re: Announced DeleGate exploits)
15 Feb 2002 09:39:50 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

On 02/09/02(19:14) I wrote in <_A1527@delegate-en.ML_>
 |Anyway, if you wish you can terminate buffer overflows using a
 |bounds checking GCC
 |<URL:http://www-ala.doc.ic.ac.uk/~phjk/BoundsChecking.html>
 |From my experience, the overhead by it with DeleGate is not
 |significant, several percent for example.

To make DeleGate with bounds checking, you need bounds checking
gcc, which is placed at "/path/of/gcc-2.95.2" for example, then
declare to use it either in DeleGate-Src/DELEGATE_CONF or in
DeleGate-Src/src/Makefile as follows.

  CC=/path/of/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/xgcc
  CFLAGS=-fbounds-checking -B/path/of/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/ -O

How to make bounds checking gcc is explained in a file
"gcc/bounds/README" which is contained in "bounds-checking-gcc-*.tar.gz"
<URL:http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/Haj.Ten.Brugge/>
It is very easy as described in the README file.