Article delegate-en/152 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Basic question ??
04 Dec 1998 01:48:59 GMT ysato@etl.go.jp (Yutaka Sato 佐藤豊)

On 11/18/98(00:20) you Gilles <pseaabdyi-omp2wg2kcalr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A145@delegate-en.ML_>
 |I'm new in the cache business and things are not clear to me.
 |Are there any differences between HTTP and NNTP caching ?
 |From what I understood from the Delegate site, just the protocol
 |changes but the process remains the same. Did I get it the right way ??

Any caching more or less is similar with others, but none of
them is the same with another :-p.  Your question is difficult to answer
without knowing your purpose why you want to know about it.
Caching consists of some basic functions including:
 - interpreting the procedure of an application protocol
 - recognizing the syntax of data (message) transmitted on the protocol
 - recognizing which part of data can be cached with which identifier (key)
 - expiration of obsolete data, mutual exclusion on update, and so on.
In general, all of these depend on application protocols.  But we can
implement them on a common set of mechanisms for cache, and I'm trying
to do so in DeleGate...