Article delegate-en/1508 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Delegate 7.8.1 on W2k occasional DNS problems
25 Jan 2002 13:36:42 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

Hi,

Thank you for your so helpful informations (from Hungary?)

On 01/25/02(21:58) you "Ferenc Toth" <pxqcqbdyi-6cvkctd7sbnr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A1507@delegate-en.ML_>
 |>>One more thing. I've noticed that the RecvFrom errors are logged right
 |>>after some busy time. So if delegate services multiple queries in a
 |>>very short time, a RecvFrom error will follow. Don't ask me why are

I'm reminded that I did see the infinite loop was caused on such
contiguous requests from specific clients.  But I could not reproduce
it because I could not what was specific in those clients.

 |>>there multiple queries for the same domain name. (192.168.99.5 is an
 |>>internal linux machine running bind9.2 servicing internal DNS queries
 |>>and forwarding all other requests to delegate).
 |
 |Looks like, I've got it. We had some misconfigured services asking
 |stupid invalid DNS queries from the ISP, also the user activity has
 |risen since we upgraded from 128kbit to 256kbit recently. I've fixed
 |the misconfigured services and added "DNSCONF=para:8" to the dns proxy.
 |Tested it with a few hundred almost simultaneous requests and so far it
 |looks to be ok! :)

Congratulations! :)

Could you tell me how the query was invalid?
I'll try to modify DeleGate to be more robust on any invalid queries.