Article delegate-en/1503 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Delegate 7.8.1 on W2k occasional DNS problems
24 Jan 2002 11:48:06 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

Hi,

On 01/24/02(18:27) you "Ferenc Toth" <pxqcqbdyi-iievoc5iqlzr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A1502@delegate-en.ML_>
 |We've recently upgraded our proxy server to W2k+SP2 from NT4. Delegate
 |7.8.1 seems to be runing fine except for one problem. We occasionally
 |get a "FATAL RecvFrom(9) = -1, errno=0" in the dns log. I've traced
 |back the logfiles and the problem first occured after the W2k upgrade.
 |We did not have any such entries while running NT4 so I'm pretty sure
 |that this thing has to do with the upgrade.
 |The command to create the delegate dns service is:
 |
 |delegate.exe -P53 PERMIT="*:*:192.168.*" SERVER=dns  RESOLV=cache,sys
 |LOGDIR=logs/log.day.[date+%%d] CACHE=do ADMIN=pxqcqbdyi-iievoc5iqlzr.ml@ml.delegate.org
 |
 |Now I've changed RESOLV to dns,cache,sys (at the time when I've
 |installed delegate for the first time I had some trouble with the
 |RESOLV=dns that's why I've dropped it). I'll need a day or two to
 |verify if this solves the problem. Meanwhile can you suggest anything I
 |should try? Maybe is there a way to get a little bit more detailed
 |error message for that FATAL RecvFrom ...?

To tell the truth, I'm not sure if it is FATAL or not.  I inserted the
"FATAL" message (and sleep() before next recv()) at DeleGate/7.2.0
when I noticed that DNS DeleGate falls into infinite loop on failure
return (-1) from recvfrom().  I found the situation on my Linux machine
(RedHat6.1 which is still working the name server of the DELEGATE.ORG
domain) but could not found the reason why recvfrom() rarely returns -1.
Although I could escape the infinite loop by making delay (by sleep(10))
before continuing to next recvfrom() at that time, the real cause of
the problem is not studied yet.  Anyway no fatal aftereffect has been
found after I escaped the problem like above, so far.  But if it is
really fatal in your situation, I'll study it more in higher priority.

[CHANGES]