Article delegate-en/1432 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: SOCKS 4 Server reply messages
20 Nov 2001 18:08:16 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

Hi,

On 11/15/01(04:26) you Claudio Topolcic <ppycqbdyi-po5c3izbfbvr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A1412@delegate-en.ML_>
 |         Thank you for your reply. I have just done some testing. Netscape
 |6.2 seems to refuse the reply messages. It FINs the connection immediately
 |after receiving the reply message. NS 6.2 can support SOCKS 5, but, I
 |believe, only with Sun JRE 1.4, which is still in Beta.
 |         The other problems we are having are because our applet opens a
 |TCP connection back to the Web Server. Even though IE can deal with the
 |SOCKS Server, the Java VM apparently cannot. So with IE 5.0 and 6.0 with
 |Java VM 5.0.0.3167 and 5.0.0.3234, we get a "java.net.SocketException:
 |Malformed reply from SOCKS server" error. I don't know how to get IE
 |to use SOCKS 5, can you tell me?

Me neither.  I myself seldom use Socks for HTTP protocol.  Thus
I did not know, and am surprised to know that even recent WWW
browsers does not support SocksV5.

Maybe authentication mechanism introduced in SocksV5 is not so
attractive for HTTP/TCP clients while the disadvantage by its extra
round-trip time for authentication is not negligible.
I thought the attractive feature of SocksV5 is that domain name
resolution can be delegated to Socks server.  But I'm surprised to
know that SocksV4 also extended to do such delegation.
<URL:http://www.socks.nec.com/protocol/socks4a.protocol>
It might be worth being supported by DeleGate although I don't
know how many SocksV4 clients support this extension.

 |>#Now still I'm not sure what does "the version of the reply code" mean,
 |>#and I think "should" should have been represented as "MUST" if other
 |>#values are treated as error:p
 |
 |         I completely agree that this specification must use the word
 |"MUST" here. The IETF has well defined meanings for these words, and I
 |was an Area Director a number of years ago, and I would not have let
 |this problem persist. But this is not an IETF specification, so we can
 |only argue about what the intent was.

It was the reason why I commented it out with "#" and ":p" :p

 |         The best advice I can give is what Jon Postel advised many years
 |ago: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"

I agree completely and indeed I've tryed to do so in most case,
but this was not such subtle case.  I simply overlooked the
specification.

 |         And by the way, do you know if any other SOCKS Servers also send
 |04 rather than 00 in their replies? For that matter, what other SOCKS
 |servers are generally in use?

Sorry but I have no experience with other SOCKS servers other than
DeleGate and NEC's.