Article delegate-en/1378 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Trying to Access FTP.DELEGATE.ORG
29 Oct 2001 00:56:42 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

In message <_A1376@delegate-en.ML_>
on 10/27/01(21:49:48) you Damian McGuckin <pmacqbdyi-p5lznxp6mzxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |I tried to login to pull down the source code and the login
 |
 |	ftp
 |	damianm@esi..au
 |
 |failed and yet, the functionally equivalent
 |
 |	anonymous
 |	damianm@esi..au
 |
 |worked.  I have never found the above 2 methods to be different anywhere.

I tried it and I succeeded to login in both case equivalently.

(1)
220- delegate.a02 PROXY-FTP server (DeleGate/7.6.0) ready.
220-   @ @
220-  ( - ) { DeleGate/7.6.0 (October 24, 2001) }
USER ftp
331- Guest login ok, enter your E-mail address as password.
331  Default value is: ?
PASS damianm@esi..au
230- Guest login ok, your E-mail address is <damianm@esi..au>
230  Now you can select a FTP SERVER by cd //SERVER

(2)
220- delegate.a02 PROXY-FTP server (DeleGate/7.6.0) ready.
220-   @ @
220-  ( - ) { DeleGate/7.6.0 (October 24, 2001) }
USER anonymous
331- Guest login ok, enter your E-mail address as password.
331  Default value is: ?
PASS damianm@esi..au
230- Guest login ok, your E-mail address is <damianm@esi..au>
230  Now you can select a FTP SERVER by cd //SERVER

I found a series of login failures in the logfile of the FTP server
like follows, so I think the problem might caused because you sent
invalid password "NcFTP@" for "anonymous".

10/27 21:27:37.60 [16078] 2261+0: Bad anonymous login:[anonymous][NcFTP@]<-(eram.esi.com.au)
10/27 21:27:55.57 [16080] 2262+0: Bad anonymous login:[anonymous][NcFTP@]<-(eram.esi.com.au)
10/27 21:32:46.55 [16087] 2265+0: Bad anonymous login:[anonymous][NcFTP@]<-(eram.esi.com.au)
10/27 21:33:08.89 [16088] 2266+0: Bad anonymous login:[anonymous][NcFTP@]<-(eram.esi.com.au)
10/27 23:27:31.72 [16346] 2360+0: Bad anonymous login:[anonymous][NcFTP@]<-(eram.esi.com.au)
10/27 23:27:53.97 [16347] 2361+0: Bad anonymous login:[anonymous][NcFTP@]<-(eram.esi.com.au)

 |However,
 |
 |	cd //SERVER
 |
 |got very upset and refused me.  Maybe SERVER means something but I don't
 |know what.

230  Now you can select a FTP SERVER by cd //SERVER

is a help message for users who are using the FTP-DeleGate as a FTP-proxy
to reach the target FTP server, like cd //ftp.ietf.org.

 |Doing it all again and just typing
 |
 |	dir
 |
 |tells me that it cannot connect with me.  Going into passive mode tells me
 |that PASV is disabled.

From the beginning of this month, the FTP server ftp.delegate.org
has been in a firewall which does not pass PASV command.