Article delegate-en/1339 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: caching of error pages
23 Sep 2001 22:29:23 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

On 09/24/01(03:22) you "Alexander Wittig" <phicqbdyi-jqwqhpa3m6xr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A1338@delegate-en.ML_>
 |I'm using delegate on a computer with a dial up connection.  Sometimes
 |a request is sent to delegate while there is no internet connection yet.
 |Delegate then displays its error message (... <server> seems to be unknown
 |...) and I establish a connection by hand.  But eventhough the connection
 |is there now, if I hit reload delegate seems to cache the error message.
 |It always returns the "is unknown" message instead of the right page.
 |If I disable caching delegate only displays the message the first time.
 |How do I have to set up delegate to not cache its internal error messages?

DeleGate does not cache error messages.  Possibly the messages is
caused by the cache for host name resolution (usually by DNS)
where each result of resolution, success or failure (or unknown),
is cached with 10 minutes of validity.  But the cache is ignored
with "reload" from HTTP clients, issueing a HTTP request with
"Pragma:no-cache" header, so I don't understand why your reaload
does not work as you expect.  With enebled debug option for name
resolver by "RES_DEBUG=1", you will see in LOGFILE what is going
on in the resolution.  Maybe disabling the cache for the resolution
by the RESOLV parameter like "RESOLV=dns,sys" will change the
situation.

 |I'm using delegate 7.5.2 on Windows 98 SE with a simple dial up connection
 |over a modem.  It does not make any difference what client I use (Netscape
 |4.7, Mozilla 0.9.4, IE 5.5 on Win98 SE, OS/2, Win95).  The command line to
 |start delegate is:
 |delegate.exe -q -P8080 ADMIN=a@b.. DGROOT=e:\delegate CACHE=ON

The value to enable cache is "do", other values are equals to "no".