Article delegate-en/1337 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Delegate and DNS
20 Sep 2001 08:06:13 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

On 09/13/01(08:15) you Julian Harris <pfacqbdyi-jqwqhpfmu6xr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A1323@delegate-en.ML_>
 |My question then becomes very basic -- to resolve a
 |domain name, doesn't a client in a private network
 |need a DNS proxy to resolve the names?

Generally the necessity of name resolution capability, including DNS,
by a client depends on the protocol and implementation of the client
and is independent of whether or not the client sits in private network.
Basically, if an information about target server in a request to a
proxy-server can be expressed with host-name rather than its IP-address,
name resolution about the target server is not necessary at the client.

For typical example, a WWW-browser (e.g. Mozilla) can reach a server
via HTTP-proxy without resolving the name of the server, but it cannot
reach the server via SOCKS-proxy without resolving the name (though
I think it is should be changed after Socks version 5 which enabled
target host in request to be represented in host-name)