Article delegate-en/1323 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119

Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Delegate and DNS
12 Sep 2001 23:15:14 GMT Julian Harris <pfacqbdyi-jfbrszyduvxr.ml@ml.delegate.org>

Thanks for such a prompt response Yutaka!

My question then becomes very basic -- to resolve a
domain name, doesn't a client in a private network
need a DNS proxy to resolve the names?

cheers,
Julian.

--- Yutaka Sato <feedback@delegate.org> wrote:
> On 09/13/01(03:33) you Julian Harris
> <pfacqbdyi-jfbrszyduvxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
> in
> <_A1320@delegate-en.ML_>
>  |E:\delegate>delegated -vd -f -P53 -SERVER=dns
>  |RESOLV=cache,file,nis DNSCONF=domain:213.194.144.1
>
> Sorry but I could not understand, firstly, why you
> need a
> DeleGate server for DNS.  In most situations, proper
> DNS
> (resolution) environment is given in a (Windows)
> system
> configuration.  Thus DeleGate servers for HTTP and
> so on
> have nothing to specify about DNS.
> And I'm sure what you did above will not work as a
> DeleGate
> for DNS resolver.  Firstly, "-SERVER=dns" must be
> "SERVER=dns".
> And RESOLV must include "dns" in its list.
>

>  |2) What's the difference between PROXY and MASTER
>  |since the manual isn't clear on this. It gives two
>
> MASTER points to an upstream DeleGate server which
> talk a
> DeleGate specific protocol designed for proxying.
> PROXY points to an upstream proxy server which talk
> an application
> protocol including HTTP, FTP or Telnet.
> Note that you must specify a port number both in
> MASTER and PROXY.
>
> Cheers,
> Yutaka
> --
>   @ @ Yutaka Sato <y.sato@delegate.org>
> http://www.delegate.org/y.sato/
>  ( - ) National Institute of Advanced Industrial
> Science and Technology (AIST)
> _<   >_ 1-1-4 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305-8568
Japan

=====
--
Julian Harris, Global Explorer, Professional Kiwi
pfacqbdyi-jfbrszyduvxr.ml@ml.delegate.org

http://im.yahoo.com