Article delegate-en/1295 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: delegate and dialup (DELAY)
18 Aug 2001 17:56:09 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

Hi,

On 08/17/01(22:28) you Thomas Bott <pbucqbdyi-dyd2yvhtidxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A1293@delegate-en.ML_>
 |We are using delegate-proxies for connecting our network to the internet via a
 |dialup connection (ISDN). The dialup connection
 |is opened and closed automatically by ippp with a timeout of 60 s. (nearly)
 |everything works fine (pop, smtp, icq, ...).
 |BUT if the connection is down and ippp has to open it, it seems that the very
 |first packets (establishing a connection) get lost; so
 |delegate waits for an answer, while the question never got out of the system,
 |and after the TIMEOUT is reached, it sends a
 |'unknown or not reachable' message.
 |Here is an example-log for http:
 |8080-08/17 11:15:16.03 [3486] 25+1: REQUEST = [http://packages.debian.org:80/] POST /cgi-bin/download.pl HTTP/1.0^M
 |8080-08/17 11:15:46.03 [3486] 25+1: *** CON_TIMEOUT: 30.00/30s -> 198.186.203.20:80
 |This seems to affect only tcp-services (udp does not wait for an answer).
 |We tried to use the DELAY-parameters, but it doesn't help (was this right ? I'm
 |not sure what delay the different DELAY-parameters affect).

DELAY does not help in this case as it is a parameter which controls
delaying as penalty for rejected actions.  Instead TIMEOUT parameter
will help to shorten timeout on TCP connection, like "TIMEOUT=con:3"
which set the timeout to 3 seconds.
<URL:http://www.delegate.org/delegate/Manual.htm#TIMEOUT>

 |Could it help to use delegate via inetd ?

I don't know... but the problem is connecting from DeleGate rather
than connecting to DeleGate which can be controlled by inetd.
According to your description of the problem, I suppose what should
be fixed is the behavior of your dial-up ISDN if it really drops
the first packet on a dial-up.  Otherwise not only DeleGate but also
any program will suffer the same problem.