Article delegate-en/1270 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119

Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: rewriting problem with cgi program
31 Jul 2001 21:36:48 GMT Dennis <p4qcabdyi-hugik5u225xr.ml@ml.delegate.org>

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Yutaka Sato wrote:

> What versions of NNs do you use and are there problems with that?
> >From my site, NN6 and MSIE5.0 work with your HTTPS-DeleGate without
> problem. NN4.75 works except it does not support 303 response code
> which was not in HTTP/1.0 on which NN4.75 based.  I suppose the
> problem will be escaped by adding a parameter HTTPCONF="svver:1.0"
> to the configuration of your DeleGate.

Well, this computer has NN 4.51, but I'm not so concerned about it working
with this version. I almost always use MSIE 5.5.

So this whole webmail thing has me stumped. Here is something the author

From mrsam@courier-mta.. Tue Jul 31 14:30:35 2001
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 23:36:50 GMT
From: Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta..>
To: courier-users@sourceforge..
Subject: [courier-users] Re: webmail non-relative urls

Graham Leggett writes:

> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> > If there was nothing to fix, it would work, would it not?
>>
>> And it works correctly.
>
> It doesn't - but then it's acedemic,

If HTTP_HOST is set to example.com, and SCRIPT_NAME is set to
/cgi-bin/sqwebmail, then sqwebmail will correctly generate its own URL as
http://example.com/cgi-bin/sqwebmail, in accordance with CGI 1.1, whose
official definition you can find at
http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/env.html, which is considered to be the
authoritative reference for CGI 1.1

Specifically, note the definition of SCRIPT_NAME:

  SCRIPT_NAME - A virtual path to the script being executed, used for
  self-referencing URLs.

Therefore, if a CGI application receives a SCRIPT_NAME that does not really
refer to the script itself, then this particular CGI implementation is
BROKEN by definition.  A similar statement can also be extrapolated for
HTTP_HOST as well.

sqwebmail works correctly as a CGI application.  You're just trying to make
it work in a non-CGI compatible environment.

--
Sam

---
Dennis Sacks
p4qcabdyi-hugik5u225xr.ml@ml.delegate.org
"Things are falling down on me, heavy things I could not see"