Article delegate-en/1204 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Portrange for passive FTP (not supported)
16 Jun 2001 22:56:47 GMT dirk laurijssen <piucabdyi-dyd2yvhjb5xr.ml@ml.delegate.org>

Yutaka Sato wrote:

> On 06/08/01(08:51) you dirk laurijssen <piucabdyi-dyd2yvhjb5xr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
> in <_A1192@delegate-en.ML_>
>  |the default behaviour is that an FTP-server returns a
>  |high-port.
>
> Basically, FTP-DeleGate with -PX option (port number X for control
> connection) creates a data connection with a port number X-1.
> Thus it should be enough to open X and X-1 so that FTP-DeleGate can
> accepts those ports.

What if the -PX is a range of ports? Will delegate still use the port connected on
by the client -1 to open a datachannel ?

> % delegated -P2049 SERVER=ftp
> % telnet localhost 2049
> 220 localhost PROXY-FTP server (DeleGate/7.4.0) ready.
> PASV
> 227 Entering Passive Mode (127,0,0,1,8,0) DeleGate[X].
>
> The port number number 8,0 == 8*256+0 == 2048.
>
>  |Currently the delegate (setupPASV in inets.c I believe)  doesn't support
>  |this, though it seems like an interesting feature to me.
>
> To tell the truth, there are at least two problems about the current
> implementation.   Firstly, DeleGate does not retry to get X-1 port when
> it failed to get it.  It can be a problem when used with a little heavy
> accesses.  Secondly, if the port number X of the control connection is
> privileged one, the FTP-DeleGate must run with OWNER=root to bind the
> data connection to X-1.

If a process wants to use a lowport it has to be root, there is no way besides
that, but isn't it feasible to have delegate check on the port-assigning, like for
instance first X-1, if this fails X-2, etc... ?

Kind regards,
dirk L.