Article delegate-en/1198 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: Portrange for passive FTP (not supported)
14 Jun 2001 08:39:01 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

On 06/08/01(08:51) you dirk laurijssen <piucabdyi-5sbstgfeaoxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A1192@delegate-en.ML_>
 |the default behaviour is that an FTP-server returns a
 |high-port.

Basically, FTP-DeleGate with -PX option (port number X for control
connection) creates a data connection with a port number X-1.
Thus it should be enough to open X and X-1 so that FTP-DeleGate can
accepts those ports.

% delegated -P2049 SERVER=ftp
% telnet localhost 2049
220 localhost PROXY-FTP server (DeleGate/7.4.0) ready.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (127,0,0,1,8,0) DeleGate[X].

The port number number 8,0 == 8*256+0 == 2048.

 |Currently the delegate (setupPASV in inets.c I believe)  doesn't support
 |this, though it seems like an interesting feature to me.

To tell the truth, there are at least two problems about the current
implementation.   Firstly, DeleGate does not retry to get X-1 port when
it failed to get it.  It can be a problem when used with a little heavy
accesses.  Secondly, if the port number X of the control connection is
privileged one, the FTP-DeleGate must run with OWNER=root to bind the
data connection to X-1.