Article delegate-en/1108 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: What is VSAP?
18 Apr 2001 06:08:59 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

In message <_A1107@delegate-en.ML_>
on 04/18/01(07:05:16)
you James Johnston <pamcabdyi-n4ll7kf7mnxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote:
 |Hmmm - that might solve my problem.  My problem is that I have a computer on
 |a network that needs to access the Internet.  I have another computer on the
 |same network that is also on the Internet.  Now what I tried doing is
 |setting up the computer hooked to the Internet to be a DeleGate, and setting
 |up the other computer as a SOCKS client.

You mean you are using DeleGate as a SOCKS server?

 |That works well, except on the
 |client I can't use protocols such as FTP (non-passive), NetMeeting, DirectX,
 |and things like that which expect incoming connections which are being
 |blocked by the DeleGate.

SOCKS protocol has a mechanism to accept incomming connection
(at dynamically assigned port on Socks server) which is used for usual
FTP (non-passive) data connection (by PORT command).
If a SOCKsified FTP-client cannot do PORT via Socks-DeleGate,
something is wrong in DeleGate.

 |How can you work around this?  Is there a setting
 |on the SOCKS server that can do this, or does VSAP do the job?  Basically I
 |need to let incoming connections go through the DeleGate and onto the client
 |computer.

Like Socks protocol is useful for Socks clients (which are clients
of some protocol) to connect to arbitrary destination servers,
VSAP can be useful when VSAP clients (which are severs of some protocol)
to accept connection are non-deterministic.
Both protocols requires its clients to be modified to talk with it
server in a devoted protocol.

If only small number of destination hosts or ports are to be forwarded,
an appropriate solution is statically forwarding connection from a host
to another host, using NAT, IP masquerade, tcprelay or udprelay of
DeleGate, etc.  No modifications to client/server is required in this case.