Article delegate-en/1092 of [1-5169] on the server localhost:119
Newsgroups: mail-lists.delegate-en

[DeleGate-En] Re: vsap auth
14 Apr 2001 19:59:29 GMT feedback@delegate.org (Yutaka Sato)

On 04/14/01(21:36) you Indrek Mandre <piecabdyi-n4ll7kfo4nxr.ml@ml.delegate.org> wrote
in <_A1091@delegate-en.ML_>
 |> The enclosed patch will make "AUTHORIZER" parameter be applicable
 |> to VSAP-server DeleGate like SERVER=vsap AUTHORIZER="foo@localhost",
 |> and also make VSAP-client DeleGate take *environment variable*
 |> AUTH_VSAP="foo:password" to send it to VSAP server.

AUTHORIZER="foo@localhost" was wrong example and must be like
AUTHORIZER="localhost" as in your example.

 |As I understood on the vsap client side i have to set an environment
 |variable named VSAP_AUTH="john@localhost:password".
 |On the vsap server side I have to add AUTHORIZER="localhost".

I suppose your example  should be like this:

VSAP_AUTH="john:password"

This authentication will succeed only if you can login the *FTP server*
on your "localhost" as the user "john" with the password.
(Your example may work if the FTP server is a proxy FTP server
which accepts "john@localhost" as a user name)

 |Now with my limited IQ I understood from the reference manual
 |that delegate will connect 'localhost' for the authentication server
 |and authenticate the user 'john'. But what is that authentication
 |server, there was no mention about that. Could you please clue
 |me in? It reads /etc/passwd? There is a special server i have to set
 |up? I tryed with couple of options but couldn't figure it out.

Sorry but I coule not make my mind about what should be used as a
authentication server when I initially wrote the manual.
The authentication server specified by AUTHORIZER is expected
to be a FTP server which authenticate users by a given pair of
user-name and password.